Thursday, March 30, 2006

Greetings and Gratitude

Greeting: As sala'amu alaikum (Peace be upon you)

Response: Walaikum as sala'am (And unto you, also peace)
*
I would like to give a hail out to the Muslim television station, IBN, Channel 8. I knew about them before and had tuned into their station once or twice when they had first started up (about 5 months ago) to see what it was about. On the day of the anti-smelter march in South, when different religious leaders and corporate and community representatives spoke to the crowd, I was quite heartened to hear the IBN manager, Mr. Ishmael pledge to give at least one hour of programming to anti-smelter issues on their station. This made me go to him and ask him if I could bring him some material. He said "Yes, of course. Bring it tomorrow."

So on Monday I took the two videos to them: The A - Z of Aluminium Smelters and Please Stand (which I have not featured here yet). Their studio is small and has a peaceful air to it. Clearly it is effective, as they say they have the largest local viewership. I found them to be very welcoming and open to the pieces I brought to them. After copying the DVD, the producer said "We will make sure to play these."

I was pleasantly surprised when they called me early last night to tell me that they would be showing Please Stand to open their popular programme, Breaking Barriers at 8:30 p.m. They also said that from now on they will be showing Please Stand at least ten times a day. Wow. How great of them. According to Mr. Ishmael, they keep their promises.

It goes to show that certain opportunities come in packages you don't expect.

Image hosting by Photobucket
One of the IBN crew at the march, wearing their t-shirt saying: Breaking Barriers. Who's Next?
*
P.S. I have since written a second post for today. You will find it here.
*
Elspeth

2 Comments:

Blogger Kris Loya said...

wonderful
i'll be looking out for it!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Kaivalya said...

Wow! That's fantastic. It shows that this station really has a committment to their community, rather than just a profit motive. Impressive!

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home