Monday, April 24, 2006

Lightness of Being


The other day when I went to buy beads for Diva, I ended up not purchasing a single bead ... but, instead, 'catching a vapse' and going to the hairdresser to shed my tresses. Many people say things like: "But why did you cut your hair?! You know how many people go to the hairdresser to get hair like yours?!"

For me the cutting of hair is not for reasons of 'style'. On one level, the time had come when I knew my hair needed a fresh start. On another level, the cutting of hair is extremely freeing in not only a physical, but a spiritual sense. Old energy falls to the floor with every clip of the scissors. Then, as the shears plough through the last remaining thickness, the job of 'becoming lighter' is completed.

When the job was done, I felt very thankful for the sensation - and glad that I had followed my instincts. I looked in awe at the huge sea of long spirals swirling on the floor around me. They were the result of four years of growth since the last time I had shaved off my hair. How many thoughts, wishes and experiences had grown into those strands in that time? The fallen ringlets looked strange, as though they had never been a part of me.

So ... thanks to a spontaneous trip to get beads for Diva, I am now lighter. I suppose one could then say that Diva is not only a being of light, but she brings about lightness of being.
*
Elspeth

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Elspeth said...

I had to put today's entry up later in the day, as Blogger wasn't working earlier.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Kaivalya said...

I think I understand how you feel about the hair. I used to have hair down to my waist - a few summers I decided to get it cut SHORT. I was delighted with how 'light' I felt. It's easy to care for and each time I get it cut, it's a reminder to me to shed old emotions/memories/hang-ups too.

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home