Thursday, August 31, 2006

Independence

Does anyone really 'celebrate' our Independence as a nation? What does that really mean and how does one do that anyway? I know some people like to go out and see the parades around the Queen's Park Savannah, but is that because they're 'celebrating independence' or because they just want something to do? (Last night as I drove home I heard on the radio that the Grand Stand in the Savannah will be pulled down once and for all after today's parade. This is to make way for the Government's construction of the new arts & culture structure. More construction, heavy vehicles and traffic.)

I think I'm hearing something slow and heavy in the sky. Is it the new blimp? (Just went outside) I can't believe it! It is! It's a pure white blimp this time. How ironic that I would hear it whilst writing about 'Independence'. They have purposefully waited until Indpendence Day to launch it?! Is this supposed to be a national symbol? Is it supposed to send a message to the country that we are safe now and all is well? Is this what celebrating independence means?
*
Elspeth

3 Comments:

Blogger Elspeth said...

I read that too. I think it may be a case like the smelters where the Gov't will go ahead 'regardless' (?)

8:01 AM  
Blogger Oswyn said...

I don't think we're really that into our independence honestly. So no one really "celebrates" it per se.

I started hanging a flag out front for the past couple years, so maybe it will inspire the neighbours to get more into it.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Today I saw a red, black & white banner strung across a tyre shop entrance (on the EMR). It had a look of pride to it desipte the flag being old-looking, tattered and covered in black soot and grime. They probably had it up for the Soca Warriors stint and pulled it back out for today. Somehow it seemed more authentic than the glossy banners and flags around POS and outside Whitehall, etc.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home