Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Rollerdisco fun!

The other day a friend of mine from Miami was spending a week with me. One evening we were looking for something to do/somewhere to go out ... and could think of nothing other than the 'typical' which we didn't feel for (bars, clubs, cinema). I said (and she agreed with me): "You know what would be fun? If there was a rollerdisco!"

Some days later, when she had left, I was going for my usual morning walk and saw some large flyers emblazoned all over the walls by the busroute. They were advertising "Hy Voltage" ... a new rollerdisco above Pizza Boys in Arima! It was as if the genie in the bottle had heard me ask for a rollerdisco.

I called the number and a woman told me it's $40 to enter and rent a pair of skates ("you must wear clean tube socks") and $30 if you have your own skates (I have my own). She said they are open from 4 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. for children and from thereafter to 5 a.m. for adults. But from what she said, I got the feeling the grownups weren't as into it - they tend to stand around looking on at the children (chaperones) or, later on, stand about having drinks and observing a handfull of skaters.

I understand that skating is not everyone's cup of tea, but for me it raises the question again: why do some (most?) 'grownups' here lose that sense of simple fun?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOOOO!!!!

They wait until I LEAVE to opena rollerdisco?!?!?!

I'm crushed!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I know what you mean. Maybe they'll still be in business when you come back for a vacation.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, makeda told me about it, I've always wanted to go to one...but have been feeling a little self conscious...you're right that grown ups don't know how to have fun, the other day I was playing hopscotch with my nephs (and having a much better time) and there were some grown ups hanging around giving me very disapproving looks. sad really, but maybe we need to organise a big grown up lime, yaay!!

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home