Friday, August 17, 2007

Names I've been called recently

Simple pheonetics: E-l-s-p-e-t-h

Two syllables: EL and SPETH

What makes it so hard?


1.
(Upon leaving a message for someone to return my call ...)
Me: Just tell him Elspeth Duncan called, please.
Man on other end: Elfin Duncan?

2.
I had left my name for a friend/associate to call me back. When he did call back, he sounded a bit unsure, trying to figure out who the voice belonged to.

So I said: It's Elspeth.

He laughed and said: You know, I thought it could be you. The note they left for me says "Call Eltezz".

3.
After a meditation session I went to last Saturday evening, I said hello to a group of women. One of them said to me: You look so familiar. What is your name?
Me: Elspeth Duncan
Woman (kind of rolling it on her tongue as if it's a pleasant taste): Ohhhhhhhhh. Elllllspethhh!
Me (pleasantly surprised): You pronounced it!
Woman: Some of us do read novels, you know.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, unique and expressive names like Elspeth, unforgettable as they should be, do have their down side.... like my daughter's, Bao-Quynh!

6:26 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Wow. I could understand that one being challenging to pronounce.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home