Thursday, April 03, 2008

Another 'Elspeth' classic

(From a phone call a few minutes ago)

Me: Hello, may I speak with Mrs Xxxxx, please?

Woman who answered: She's on lunch. May I ask who's calling?

Me: Elspeth Duncan

Woman (brief pause): E ... E ...

Me (slowly): Elll - spethhhhh Duncan

Woman: L ... Elstet?

Me: No. Elspeth.

(This is followed by a few variations of the name which I can't remember now, then):

Woman (finally getting it): Elspeth! Forgive me!

(She then consults with the person I am trying to get onto and comes back to the phone):

Woman: L ... Les ... look, Elsie, she will call you back in 7 minutes.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger human being said...

By the way, Elspeth, what's the meaning of your name?
I like its sounds.. so soothing.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

It's the Scottish form of Elizabeth. I've seen its meanings listed as "God an oath", "God's grand-daughter", "My God is a vow", etc. Along those lines.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Andreamuse said...

hee! That's so funny! I get that with my last name...

5:17 PM  
Blogger human being said...

Beautiful!

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home