Sunday, February 19, 2006

End of the Rainbow

Image hosting by Photobucket
This rainbow led me to my destination yesterday. It was visible to me from the time I left home in St. Augustine to the time I reached Sangre Grande about an hour later. It was always before me as I drove, like a companion, getting brighter and bigger the closer I reached to my destination: North Eastern College. This photo shows the fence as I approached the school. The Rainbow seems to be saying: "Here is where you enter ..."
*
A friend of mine who is a Brahma Kumari invited me to a function yesterday called "Flame of Hope" in the auditorium of North Eastern College, Sangre Grande. The 2 and a half hour programme consisted of performances (dancing and singing), followed by a speech about "Hope". The speaker ended by taking the audience through a guided meditation, during which I drifted to sleep - but woke feeling peaceful. Hopefully not too peaceful for the long drive back home, I thought.

Image hosting by Photobucket
A rather blurry rendition of one of the two Flames of Hope that were on the front corners of the large auditorium stage. This flame was silver. The other was golden.
*

After the function we were each given little boxes (containing a square of cake), little bags (containing mixed nuts, etc.), a soft drink and a little square card with a message on it. The latter reminded me of my Post Its. The message I got was: You reflect back to others the brilliance of their own potential.
*
A peaceful way to spend an evening into night ... at the end of a rainbow.
*

P.S. For those in Trinidad, tune in to Gayelle TV tomorrow (Hototo programme) at 11 a.m. I will be talking about the All Creatures Great and Small exhibition and Detta Buch will be talking about W.O.R.C..

*

Elspeth

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come you haven't said anything about the dane andrews case the boy who got raped by the pond...its the 2nd openly known crime of this kind and you have have not said anything.

why is that.....stories like this ..would be great to hear what the people in our communities are saying...why is it.. no one is taking it seriously? and how come its reminds so hidden?....something to ponder on.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I understand what you are saying. It is clearly an issue that moves you. There are many things I don't talk about here because I can't talk about everything. It's unfortunate that there are so many 'issues' in the world - and whatever issue is huge for one person may not be as huge for others - and that one little person wants everyone to feel the same way about their issue, to understand, to do something, to unify in support of (or against) an issue in question, etc. I can understand because I feel like that sometimes when I care about something ... and I wish lots of other people would feel the same way and together we would all do something about it. You signed your name as "victim of the act". I don't know if you mean that literally (that you are a victim)... and I'm sorry if that is so. You are saying that no-one takes it seriously - but it appears so on a mass level. There are people who do take it seriously and who work for justice in cases of child abuse - whether Akiel Chambers or (now) Dane Andrews or others. Just today I was talking to a friend who works for causes like that and we were discussing videos and documentaries featuring abused people or people with HIV/AIDS. Their faces are always blocked out or blurred or in darkness to conceal their identity. We were saying that whilst this is necessary to protect the person from potential public ridicule, it also serves to keep issues like that a mystery and a sign of 'shame' (where one's face must be hidden). You have brought up an issue that is important to you. I have friends who were 'victims of the act' when they were children. In fact at one point I was baffled by the amount of people I was coming across who had been abused as children. It remains a taboo topic and one that people do not feel safe being open about. There are people who are versed in this area in terms of helping those who are victims. But not always are the victims identified. Sometimes they do not live to tell their tale. Sometimes they keep silent out of fear. There are so many issues in this world ... and for every issue there is someone, somewhere, working on it. I will ponder on what you have said.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

E, I don't have Gayelle. :( Exhibition? Do you have hard copy flyers? CCFA and Agostini St Centres would like to have any exhibition notices. Thanks!

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why is it you gave such a long explaination when you know a simple NO would have done.

No answer... no help....never mind....

9:13 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Okay, Trace. I'll get some hard copies to those places. Victim of the act - do you want deeper assistance? I am not an expert on these matters, but there are people who are able to professionally help.

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please share some places i can seek out help...my family is well known in Trinidad so i have to do this in private.


thank you for asking..i have seen you a couple of times but i've been too afraid to speak to you.

maybe next time we cross paths..i will say thanks in person.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Don't be afraid to speak to me. I am harmless. I will be seeing a friend of mine tonight who works for those causes. I'll get any information I can and pass it on to you so that you can seek professional and confidential help.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

'Victim of the act', I investigated several options for you. The one I will point you to is a woman I spoke with tonight (I was directed to her by my friend who works in this area). She talks with children, teenagers and young adults about confidential and sensitive issues in their lives. I don't know your age or gender, but I assume you are in your teens or early twenties. Would you feel comfortable talking with her? If yes, would you like to do this via telephone, on the blog, by e-mail or face to face with her? Most importantly you have to be ready, willing and comfortable to take that step. I feel she can definitely help you -professionally, safely and confidentially. The choice is yours. Let me know what you decide and we will take it from there.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home