Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Hello

Pensive times, need-for-stillness times, yet called-to-action times. Feels like being back after ages, yet it hasn't really been that long. Much has happened, is happening and will be happening. I have not yet been able to get a grip on this busy year ... and then again, I don't have to grip it or even let it grip me ... but just let it flow. Have not been spending much time in the studio at all. Apart from taking a break because of my (turned out to be two) hands (which, after my session at the orthopedic and fracture clinic I learned was 'the early stages of carpal tunnel' aggravated further by the lifting of the windows and the chiselling, etc.) ... things have felt very busy. Yes, I rested my hands by not really using the computer unless I 'had' to, etc., but there were other things - meetings, work, driving, etc. I will have to see over the period of August whether it makes sense to continue renting that space (studio) if I'm hardly ever going to be in it.

I want to let all the unnecessary things of life fall away. I will know they are unnecessary when they just fall away under the laws of 'least effort'. (An apt thought for Emancipation Day). In a nutshell, my hands have shown me the need to revise my use of self and application to life.
*
Elspeth

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Birdie! Sorry to hear about your hands. You just have to be careful from now on. About the space, you'll make the right decision. We were happy for you because you were happy, but we all know that it's not the studio that makes the artist. And you have demonstrated this with everything that you have accomplished in the past. Many blessings continue to find you.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Thanks, Guanaguanare

3:50 AM  
Blogger Kris Loya said...

isn't it weird that all you are doing is moving your hands as they're meant to and then you get carpal tunnel - how does one 'overuse' their hands!?
The rest helps greatly - sometimes a brace for a bit if the pain gets too bad.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

It all has to do with the way we do things. Pay attention to your body now and the parts of it that are tense without you even realising it. Habits. In many ways we 'use' our bodies in ways that are not 'good' (for want of another word. Check out Alexander Technique. And remember I also strained the hands lifting the windows up those flights of stairs. Yes rest helps and so does the brace.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home