Sunday, November 12, 2006

Introducing the Quenk and the Judges

As mentioned before, I was looking for someone to make a special clay piggy bank for this year's Happy Hippy Hero trophy. The recipient of last year's Happy Hippy Hero's Award, Detta Buch, offered her services. Below is a sneak peek at the quenk she has so masterfully been creating for this year's winner.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Inscription (also on last year's piggy bank trophy): May all that goes into this be multiplied to miraculous proportions.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Inscription on side of quenk shows Happy Hippy logo.
*

Now meet the judges. On a professional level, they are all involved in some way in social or humanitarian work. They are excellent when it comes to fairness and evaluation of character and cause. On a personal level, they are fun loving, caring individuals who are doing their part to make the world a better place.

*

Glenford Bhagat is a dedicated Brahma Kumari and manager of Afford Office Line (Manufacturers, Suppliers, Designers, Custom Builders and Refurbishers of Office Furniture). He conducts ongoing motivational sessions at a drug rehabilitation centre and is one of the founding members of The Greenlight Network

Shivonne DuBarry is an environmental activist and longtime worker in the field of sexual and reproductive health and the rights of women and children.

Nicola Cross is an Environment and Development Practitioner. She has had extensive experience working with Community Based Organisations and Non-Governmental Organisations in the development of projects that consider environmental, economic and social issues.

O'Leo Lokai is a writer, activist and founder of Red Intitiative (an HIV, AIDs and STI awareness/prevention NGO). Through Red Initiative he also assists other NGOs with programme and project development.

**********
You know of someone who deserves this award. Nominate now.
Click on the Happy Hippy Hero's logo in the sidebar for the nomination form, criteria and further details.

Deadline for submission of nominees: 17 November, 2006

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn’t it be a conflict of interest if the judges are your friends?
I am not sure about all the criteria that goes into having a competition but I know that the judges are not suppose to be buddies or close friends of the person hosting the competition.

Make the competition fair at least…


Yours truly,
concern citizen

always looking out for my fellow trinidadians

10:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Dear Concerned Citizen, thank you for your comment. Your concern are being taken into consideration. Yes these judges happen to be friends of mine, but they were not selected on the basis of friendship. As I stated in my accont of them, I find them professionally to be fair and honest people, people whose professional opinions I respect and I trust they will judge based on the strength of the nominee/submission and nothing else. I see no potential conflict of interest here and, as I myself am not submitting a nomination, my only 'interest' is in seeing a well-deserved winner emerge - whoever that winner may be. Of the people whom I would have chosen to be judges, many are friends or associates or known to me in some way. Trinidad is a small place. However, like I said first, I value your comment, I would like everyone to feel that this is a fair judging process and I welcome any suggestion you may have for a fifth judge: someone you would like to suggest to me and why. If it turns out that that person is also known to me, maybe you may want to choose another. I am openly and honestly inviting you to suggest a fith judge. Thanks for your comment and conerns.

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home