Thursday, December 28, 2006

R.I.P. Sunflower

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Another pupdate, for those of you who remember Sunflower, the pup I found recently while walking ...

I called today to find out if anyone had adopted her and was told that 'she did not make it'. Apparently she had been 'passing worms' (which I don't think is reason to put a dog to sleep) but that she also had some other problems and that 'sometimes you have to decide which animals are likely to be adopted and which are not ... and she would most likely not have been adopted."

What can I say? As much as I didn't like hearing that (because I found she was cute enough to be adopted), the fact is ... sadly, that's how things go when stray animals are taken to shelters, etc. When masses of them come in, they decide who gets put to sleep.

When I put down the phone, I said to the friend (Patti) who was with me: "I should have left her where she was."

Patti said: "You followed your heart in the moment and your heart said to pick her up. That is enough. Your part is in the process, not the outcome."

True. When I saw Sunflower she was following people as if she wanted to be taken home ... which is why I took her home ... and then, because I couldn't keep her, took her to the place where I thought some loving person/people would have adopted her eventually. (Next time I will find an alternative).

As Patti also said to me: "Who knows ... if you had left her, she may have developed some horrible disease and died in excrutiating pain. At least this way she went peacefully."

And, at least she got milk and a simple meal at my house, got to have a nice nap in the car and got to feel that someone wanted her ... if even for a while.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
R.I.P.
Sunflower

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

So sad. It was good of you to make the effort and Sunflower surely felt your kindness and went peacefully.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really disappointing to hear. On one hand, it's nice that her suffering didn't last but it is frustrating that she wasn't given a chance.

8:14 PM  
Blogger SpiffyTurtle said...

Oh, I share your sadness. It tears me up inside that we can't adopt and save each and every last orphan. But we can't.

Rest in peace, little Sunflower.

I'm so glad she knew love and comfort, even for a short while. K

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Usually they wait three months before putting 'pups' to sleep which gives them a chance at being adopted. Sad ending to a nice beginning where you were moved to take Sunflower home and indeed he did know some kindness for a few days.
Mary

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home