Thursday, February 23, 2006

Applying Bandages (video)

Image hosting by Photobucket
Working on the back of the lamp in the garage.
Length: 1:47 seconds
File size: 1.93MB
File type: wmv
Because of the age of some windows, there will be areas around the glass where weakened putty has chipped and fallen off. On my earlier window lamps I used to use putty or wood filler to re-seal the spaces. Now I apply Plaster of Paris bandages to these areas - to fill and strengthen them so that the glass is more securely held. It also serves a cosmetic purpose - filling up holes with a rough, interesting plaster-texture finish. Once it dries I usually apply paint to the wood and plaster, making them one.
On a symbolic level, the bandages feel like they have more to do with 'healing' than putty does. When applying the bandages, I feel as though anything that is 'imbalanced' or 'broken' on an energetic level is being fixed. Every step of the making of each lamp is isymbolic, but going into full explanations would be quite lengthy. By watching these short videos perhaps you will glean your own personal symbolic meanings from each stage of the process.
Elspeth

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Kris Loya said...

love it love it love it love it!
I love to see these little videos its so cool to have a peek into an artist's creative process!
where do u buy that plaster of paris bandage roll? i bet i could breathe new life into a hideous old chair with that!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Kaivalya said...

Heh! I loved seeing J's tail! Cute! The shadow of the hand on the bucket (near the end of the video) seemed almost symbolic of something. Also, I really enjoy hearing the bird-sounds in the background on these videos...nice soundtrack!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Webgrl, check any medical supplies place. The last time I wanted P of P bandages for use in artwork, no-one had. I searched high and low for ages and eventually found some somewhere (can't remember name of place now - it was years ago) ... and I ordered enough rolls to last me a good while.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Silvergull, I think the symbolism of the hand/bucket = 'drink more water'.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! Silvergull, you noticed the birdies. I was listening to them too. They are Pitangus sulphuratus, commonly known as the kiskadee and their name comes from the French Quest-ce-que dit? What are you saying? Which is what their call sounds like. Listen again….

Quest-ce-que dit -> kiskadee!!

Click HERE to see what the birdie looks like.
Bye!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooooh. Heh I must confess this is the 1st vid I have downloaded. I hate having dialup to deal with - too frustrating. Yay! Pretty things. I don't think I should ever film me painting - haha. Would be hilarious.

Anyway thanks for passing that e-mail on and for it being in the centres. I passed the word on and I think the turnout will be great. Can't make the gala unless am allowed in late but will definitely get to it! Sad that it's only 3 days though.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Yes, dial-up is very frustrating. High speed is worth it. You can come late to the gala, but you will miss the early happenings. Only 3 days ... another exhibit starts on the Sunday.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

heh i have a class till 6 so am stuck till then.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how did you learn such a craft? did you teach yourself or did a family member teach it to you?

you take such pride in making those windows...
does the window have to be that size?

1:00 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

It's just something I was inspired to do one day - and I kept doing it and it evolved. No-one 'taught' me. (Does the window have to be taht size)? Some are smaller, some are larger. Depends on the window I get.

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home