Sunday, June 18, 2006

Queen waves TT flag for Soca Warrior Champions

The first thing I thought as I woke up this morning is "Thank God I no longer drink (alcohol) and smoke!" Otherwise I would be a real wreck now! Last night I was invited (inveigled) to go along with friends to a 'rock concert' put on by some American 'tribute bands' (i.e. imitating the real thing). I've always found it strange that people would want to 'be someone else' or copy someone else as a career, but I guess it's a big business. The concert is not something I would have chosen to go to, but when asked I agreed to go just for a laugh. But ... by the end of the night I was doing anything but laughing. It went on tooooooooo long for me (Miss early to bed early to rise) ... I got home just a few minutes before 4 a.m.

The featured bands were 2U (imitating U2), No Duh (imitating No Doubt), Almost Queen (for Queen), Separate Ways (for Journey) and don't-know-their-name-because-thankfully-we-left-during-their-second-song (for AC/DC). 2U opened the show and I wasn't impressed. They didn't look or sounded like U2. I was also unimpressed for 'Journey'. During their (second-to-last) performance I sat on the ground amidst empty plastic rum/beercups and water bottles and slept.

Out of all the bands, I found 'No Duh' did a good job. At least the singer looked (somewhat), moved, dressed and sounded like Gwen Stefani - so at points it felt like looking at 'the real thing'. And they incorporated strong stage presence and humour into their act which made it at least more interesting to look at. I held my breath for 'Almost Queen' ... wondering if their Bulgarian lead singer would look like Freddie Mercury. He was somewhat shorter and not as angular, but managed to pull it off, getting the swarthy complexion, trademark sideburns & moustache, skinny legs, strut, the mannerisms and the pouting/open-mouth movements - but minus the famous buck teeth. He was also impressive on the keyboards. Breath was held again as they launched into the classic "Bohemian Rhapsody", which everyone must have been waiting to judge them on. Amazingly, they pulled it off, aaaaaaaaaaaalmost sounding like 'the real thing' and managing to turn a potentially sacriligeous opportunity into one worthy of cheers from the crowd.

However ... the real cheers came close to the end of 'Almost Queen's' set when 'Freddie' mentioned the match on Tuesday and announced that "This one is for the Soca Warriors!" The band (accompanied by screaming 'fans') broke into a thunderous "We will Rock You" immediately followed by a rousing version of WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS in which some TT flags in the crowd suddenly ceased to be headties and became wild, frenzied blurs. Much to everyone's delight, Freddie himself had a Trini flag on a stick and was waving it like a true patriot as the whole crowd screamed out the lyrics (at least the chorus, which most people seemed to know):

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end -
We are the champions - We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions - of the world -
*
Elspeth

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha Ha!!! Exactly! We ARE the champions! Really enjoyed the post.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home